Tuesday, September 14, 2010

The Gift

The approach, like every other, was the same. I slumped and staggered away from the broken and beaten SUV towards the door, depressed by the day that had unfolded in spite of myself. I could not help but dread the nightly walk the dogs were expecting, the meal that needed to be prepared and the wife that was waiting to ask, painfully, what had happened during the prior twelve hours. Energy was gone, food nonexistent and imaginary stories of a day spent in excitement running thin. But that was the world in which I lived and I accepted as much. One foot in front of the other, it would all be over soon enough.

Upon entering, I was greeted by two dogs full of exuberance, a bitter cat and a wife . . . with a perplexed look. “Were you expecting something?” “Hello to you, my day was fine if you must know.” My anger had broken the surface, and I had to breath to calm my nerves. “Sorry, not sure where that came from. No I am not expecting anything, why?” “You received a package today, and by the looks of it, you knew it was coming.” “I have no clue what you are talking about. I have no friends, stopped talking to my family years ago, and you know nobody ships to this godforsaken island.” She pointed at a box, adorned in GI Joe paper, sitting on the table. I stared, she stared, and the dogs fought. “What the fuck is this” I thought. I walked to it, excited by the thought of receiving a gift. The writing on the box was childish, but recognizable as . . . my own.

To: Bruce Pidd, 3242 Freidman Ave., Godforsaken Island, 34123
From: You know, just open it

I turned to the jury of one, opened my mouth to speak, but was at a loss. Innocence is not the default. “I. . . really. . . don't. . . know anything about this.” Nothing.

Knowing that this would not end until the contents of said package were in full display to explain away, I tore the paper away, opened the box and recoiled in disbelief. Inside lay six of my own possessions, five of which had a pastel post-it attached.

I took the picture out first, it was of my brother, when he was young, happy, and alive. The note read “What would he think of your existence?” My nerves were frayed, emotions uncontrollable and fear real.

The ratty stuffed buffalo, still missing its tail, was adorned with, “You were happy once, is it too late?” I cradled it to my chest, much as I did as a small child when the world seemed to be caving in.

I set it aside long enough to pick up the baseball that still had my signature with a dedication to my mother, circa 1989. “You were great once, it is not too late.” It fit so nicely between my fingers that I debated throwing it against the wall to see what I still had left.

The diary, full of words, emotions and my youth was next. “You had dreams, ambitions and goals once.” I trembled, let the tears fall and recalled a time when I had hope.

My diplomas, ripped and ragged were covering the remaining items. “These do not define you; never have and never will.” I crumbled them up, threw them aside and felt free.

I pulled out a photograph of myself with friends long since forgotten. “Have you forgotten how to love yourself, others and the world in which you live? If so, move on.” I had, did not want to be that person and said as much out loud, to my observers great surprise.

The loaded pistol sat alone. There was no note.

She looked confused, lost and angry. I ignored her, took my life's greatest possessions, minus the gun, sat on the floor and broke.

No comments: